Friday, September 26, 2008

Still Planting Perennials

One thing I enjoy but have found frustrating is gardening in NC. The soil here is mostly sand, the rainfall is different than Utah and the humidity kills plants that loved the clear mountain air. But I have had some successes.

Two and a half years ago a friend gave me some spider lily roots. I planted them, and eventually the leaves surfaced. Then they died. The next year the leaves sprouted again, and died. I gave up on them and stopped looking for them or even watering that space. Last week when I went out to water the garden, there was a spider lily blooming away, after two and a half years. What a surprise. Maybe more will come back next year.



Last spring I planted seeds for Texas Star hibiscus plants. I planted 40, thinking maybe three or four would survive. They all survived and thrived. I planted over 20 of them and gave the rest away. I didn't expect any blooms from them until next year, but one of them had a bud opening up this week. That was another nice surprise. See how much faith I have. I'm still planting perennials!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yep, less than a week until October and we still have flowers blooming! Not a sign of autumn, except the cool mornings.